Friday, July 3, 2009

3 Things to do with Beet Greens

I've never eaten beet greens until this week. In fact, I've only rarely eaten beets themselves. Last summer I bought them once at the farmers' market - thinking that since there are almost no vegetables I truly dislike, I should see what I can do with them. The beet preparations I experienced in childhood were not fond memories. Roasted, I thought they were ok. This year, I'll try again. But first, the greens, since they are more perishable.

Slice stems and leaves. Beginning with the stems, and adding the leaves when stems are fork-tender, saute lightly in olive oil with a touch of salt, just until bright green. Then, the beet greens can be

- served alongside fried rice for the family to taste (could also be sauteed in the fried rice for more adventuresome folk)

- made into enchiladas with some grass-fed ground beef, onions, and monterey jack cheese (for 4 servings, about 1/3# beef cooked with 1 small onion, 3 oz grated cheese, and about 1.5c sauteed beet greens, rolled into 6 steamed corn tortillas and topped with a sauce made from 1/2 c salsa and 1/2 c vegetable broth - bake, covered, 350, 20 minutes; uncover, top with 1oz grated cheese, and bake, uncovered, 10 more min or until thoroughly hot and cooked)

- mixed with whole grain pasta, olive oil, and romano cheese.

There are a lot of beet greens on a handful of beets, so they go a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment