Presumably the lower levels of phosphorus and potassium are due to the lack of chemical fertilizer, which generally contains nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (N-P-K). Hey, no methyl bromide residue, either!"organic strawberries (compared to non-organic strawberries):
- Had a longer shelf life (took longer to rot)
- Had a greater quantity of dry matter
- Had higher antioxidant activity
- Had higher levels of Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
- Had higher concentrations of health-protecting compounds (phenolic compounds)
- Had lower concentrations of phosphorus
- Had lower concentrations of potassium"
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Organic Strawberries Win!
A study performed on organic vs conventional California strawberries found that