Buckwheat flour is readily available at most natural foods stores. These can easily be made gluten- and dairy-free. We eat these for supper, but in smaller quantities, they could also be a snack or an appetizer, or even a dessert.
This is modified from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.
For about 14 crepes:
1 c buckwheat flour
1/4 c all-purpose flour or other flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp sugar
2 to 4 eggs
About 1 1/2 c milk + water - at least 1/2 c milk (nondairy subs are fine)
1 tbsp canola oil
Whisk ingredients together to make a thin, pourable batter (adjust consistency as needed). Let rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Heat the oven to the lowest temperature and put an oven-proof plate in it to keep the crepes warm.
Heat a 10" skillet over medium heat, then add a small amount of butter or canola oil. Swirl to coat the pan and then immediately ladle in about 1/4 c batter. Swirl the pan to make a thin pancake. When it is dry on top, flip and cook the bottom briefly. Stack on the plate in the oven until all the crepes are cooked.
To eat: spread entire surface with filling and roll up.
1. Spinach with or without cheese. Heat frozen, chopped spinach in a small pot, uncovered to evaporate excess moisture. Season as desired. Spread on crepe and top with grated or crumbled cheese of your choice (pepper Jack, goat, feta, swiss, etc), or sunflower seeds.
2. Spreadable cheese.
3. The pea-and-potato combination that is used in Indian samosas (recipes readily available online).
4. Other vegetables, chopped as needed, and steamed, with or without cheese, cubed, baked tofu, sauteed mushrooms, etc.
5. Cooked beans (with or without cream cheese), lentils, or leftover dahl.
6. Caramelized onions with or without vegetables as above.
7. Spinach with curry spices and cashew cream.
1. Cooked fruit/vegetables such as apples (e.g. homemade applesauce), cranberries and sweet potatoes, gingered sweet potatoes with or without pineapple, etc. Add nuts and/or cinnamon if desired.
2. Jam or cooked dried fruit, with or without nuts or cinnamon.
3. Cream cheese or tofu "cream" with any of the above, or cinnamon/sugar.